Happy Birthday Kalvin!!!
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Wow we've had the most incredible week! Last Thursday (feb 8) was Kalvin's 40th (you heard me right!) birthday. Can you believe that guy is 40 years old! So, sadly he was in London on business (business - ya right! His favorite soccer team was playing a home game, plus his best friend who also works for PWC was going with him on this "business" trip).
Well, things got crazy at work for K's BFF John, and John wasn't sure if he could go at all. Sooooooooo,
On Monday night of last week, I booked a flight to London (business class, I might add - my first time!!!). I spent all day Tuesday frantically packing myself and the girls (Mindi and Karl graciously said they'd watch the girls - well, ok, you know them - not so "graciously," more like me begging and pleading and crying...). I was off to London at 4:30am the next morning, to SURPRISE Kalvin!!!
I got in Thursday afternoon, made my way on train and tube to the hotel, got into his room and just crashed. I slept for about 3 hours (he was at work) and then showered. And what do you know - K and John came back to the hotel room, and SURPRISE! - there I was!!!!!
Kalvin spent the next hour in shock, we said goodbye to John who left that night, and then K and I partied it up! It was sooooooo much fun.
It was a whirlwind weekend, but totally great. I was able to surprise K, without throwing him a surprise b-day party, which I know he was dreading that I might do. It was good to come home and see the kids again, although Tressa kept calling me "Brynn." She's finally back to calling me "mom" this morning.
The start of the trip...
The tall skinny guy with the curly blonde hair was on my flight - he's the party planner from the O.C. in the show "Top this party." It's a great show about him and the parties he plans for psychos for like $200,000.
This is Jordi from Star Trek, who was also on my flight. I felt like paparazzi taking pics of these guys! I was trying to be sly so I only got their backs. You'll just have to believe me that it's really them.
The hotel - it was gorgeous. Now I see that Kalvin really does get the luxury treatment when he travels. Oh boo hoo about all the whining with having to be gone and all - that guy gets perks!
The SURPRISE. Ok, well maybe the picture WAS staged. It was hard to capture it on camera!
Kalvin's BFF, John Karren. Even though John couldn't stay longer, the Karrens are coming in March for Spring Break - yae!!!
English breakfasts, yummy desserts, this is NOT good for my summer figure.
K's Friday morning meeting cancelled so we spent the morning in the National Gallery. Behind us is Trafalgar Square.
Then we walked to the new Tate Modern Museum. London is a really gorgeous city. Plus the sun shined for us each day!
The Tate had commissioned this series by Colombian artist Doris Salcedo. Her piece, Shibboleth, was really amazing, as crazy as it may seem. As you enter the museum, there is this tiny crack in the concrete floor, which extends and grows and crosses the whole bottom floor of the building. People were gathered all over the crack - you naturally followed it into the building. Plus, I loved the caution sign they had put up - not a safe place to take Whitney!
Kalvin's work, plus our favorite taxi.
No way I could talk K out of skipping the Aston Villa game. We took an almost 2 hour train ride to Birmingham to see it. Thank goodness they won! I think people might've thought I was Victoria Beckham there.
K made me pose outside this pub. I didn't think it was funny at all.
Got to have a Davies street in London.
We saw the Chinese New Year parade and got the girls some cool souveniers from it. Frankly though, the parades at Disneyland are fine for me...
What more could a man want? Kalvin truly got a weekend filled with all his favorite things - England, Aston Villa soccer, Lord of the Rings Musical, eating at Wagamamas, and of course, ME!
February 12, 2008 at 2:57 PM
It truly was the best birthday ever!
And, by the way, we won 4-1 and you should have heard Brynn singing with the rest of the Villa supporters, "And we're Aston Villa, Aston Villa FC, by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen..."
February 12, 2008 at 7:48 PM
Ahhh, excuse me!!!! I might have been really unhappy about babysitting (three little baby girls), but I certainly did not voice my opinion out loud. I said all of the rude comments in my mind. You could never have heard them, Brynn.
I am glad that you drank wine, oops, were whined and dined and had a blast gallivanting around the streets of London. Sounds like fun but, been there done that!
I cannot wait to relax on the white, sandy beaches of Maui to make our exchange even. Aloha and ma halo.
February 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM
So fun! Super jealous...yup...pretty green right about now.
February 13, 2008 at 11:22 AM
What an awesome surprise! Go Villa!! Love the PwC cab, too; that's hilarious.
February 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM
Happy Birthday Kalvin and Brynn! I am so glad you had a great time! I'm sure this trip will go down in the books for the most spontaneous adventure! You know how to do it right...my spontaneous is lets hop in the car and drive to northern California, yours is lets hop on a plane and fly to London! Gee, which one sounds better?
February 14, 2008 at 9:31 PM
I am sooooo jealous of your London weekend . . . I'm dying to get back there! What a fun birthday weekend (can we really be married to such old men?) I'm sure we are still young! What a great surprise!
February 15, 2008 at 2:02 PM
That is so awesome Brynn. Seriously, how brave are you!? I hate traveling alone, and I've only done it a couple times in this country! And aren't sisters the best who will tend your little ones at a moment's notice?
February 16, 2008 at 10:03 PM
Wow Brynn, what a surprise you pulled off! How cool. I loved looking at your photos. I would love to go there someday. You look great BTW-like always!
February 17, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Happy Birthday to Kalvin! WOW, what a FABULOUS and memorable surprise, Brynn! You can't be away from your husband on his 40th, so good on you for taking matters into your own hands and making it happen. You two look so great! Loved all your pics frolicking around London! Kudos to Mindi for taking the kiddos!
February 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM
Wow, that is so exciting and fun and spontaneous. . . so glad you had a good time!
February 19, 2008 at 11:14 AM
PS. Kalvin fits right in here in the UK. When my friend's boyfriend is watching a big game game (at home mind you) he wears his kilt!
February 22, 2008 at 8:15 PM
What a way to spend a birthday. Very romantic and spontaneous. I hope you write it up more fully- with deep feelings - for the children to read in ten to fifteen years' time when they might see you as old and staid.
My mother, with tongue in cheek, used to call Villa Park - Valhalla. Brynn - I think you are the first woman in the family to get there. Linda and I tried in August but the match was sold out. Isn't the volume of sound amazing?
A small challenge, son. I took Mom to Wembley Stadium in 1966 to see England beat France in THE World Cup finals.