Sweet Salad  

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My wonderful Aunt (hi Aunt Shelley!) made this yummy salad for us this Christmas. I hosted a baby shower at my house last week and it was the perfect thing to serve. So for all those of you who asked, and for all of you who didn't, here's the recipe:

Aunt Shelley's Salad
1 head red leaf lettuce
1 head green leaf lettuce
1 head iceberg lettuce
8 oz. shredded mozzarella
8 oz. parmesan cheese
1 lb. bacon - cooked and crumbled
8 oz. package craisins
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Dressing
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 sweet maui onion
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp regular yellow mustard
1 cup salad oil
***Blend dressing ingredients, except oil, until smooth. Slowly add oil while blending.

OK now when I made it, I had to use a few shortcuts (sorry Aunt Shelley) - first of all, you can get these beautiful packages of mixed salad greens at Sams club, and I went with those. Also, I used Sams club bacon bits. The grocery store didn't have any sweet "Maui" onions, they had sweet "Mayan" onions, and I used one of those instead. And also, I cut up a rotisserie chicken and added that for all my carnivore friends.

Disclaimer - I am using the term "I" very loosely - Mindi was as involved in this process as me. But I often refer to her and I as just "I."

Here's a picture of Mindi and my hostess aprons that we just whipped up a couple days earlier. Aren't we talented??? (I also use the term "we" very loosely!!!)


5 comments: to “ Sweet Salad