And the winner is...  

Sunday, October 26, 2008


Kalvin! He finally did it! After years of entering ward chili cook-offs, Kalvin came home a winner last night. He worked super hard and super fast to get his award winning chili in tip top shape (and to the party!). It was our ward's trunk-or-treat, and it was so crazy, fun & chaotic that I didn't even get pictures of how cute all the costumes were! Let's just say that superheros, villians, scary ghosts and high school musical were all represented by our family.

Back to the chili - it even took a trip to the local mercado to get the right ingredients. K's finer chilies have been overlooked in the past, by missionary judges whose palates were just not refined enough to enjoy the complexities. But this year, FINALLY, and no bribing the judges, he won. You can congratulate him yourself at kalvin.davies@us.pwc.com.



6 comments: to “ And the winner is...

  • The Bellyakers...
    October 27, 2008 at 4:44 AM  

    That is awesome! Where did you learn such a trade dear Kalvin?? I think it was your Chatsworth apartment that would do Sunday roasts in the crock pot? The smell would be billowing out of your house and make all of us jealous!

  • Jeff
    October 27, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

    Congrats Kalvin! Chili cook-off's...trunk-or-treat... How I wish our ward could enjoy those. There's a kabosh on that fun due to a few strong opinions. Maybe we'll move out there so we can enjoy some harmless fun.

  • Unknown
    October 28, 2008 at 10:07 PM  

    O.k. I'm sure it was tasty, but, you have to admit.........the picture looks a little suspicious!

  • Kalvin
    November 3, 2008 at 10:48 AM  

    This is Kalvin Davies and I endorse this message (especially the part about the missionary judges - also, did Brynn mention the time that David Deem bribed the judges to win - true story?!) Not that I care about winning or anything.

    The picture doesn't do it justice at all, I'm afraid - it's a Yukatan chili with black beans, lime, habanero chile, and achiote, among other things.

  • Beach_Crew
    November 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

    Ok, this is too funny because we lived by you for years and heard about the the lack of professionally trained missionary judges. So, we celebrate in all possible ways that FINALLY his art is appreciated. Congrats Kalvin!

  • Beach_Crew
    November 6, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

    OM Goodness! And the out loud laugh at the years David Deem bribed the judges...I REMEMBER THAT! This is hilarous. Ryan